Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Is this what the professionals call a growth spurt?

Oh man, am I tired. Ethan seems to have hit his three month growth spurt and he REFUSES to sleep. He used to be so good at sleeping at night, but this week he won't sleep longer than 4 hours at a time and naps are 30-45 minutes AT MOST.

During his past growth spurts, because he was in our room, I could just stumble over to his little Pack N Play and give him what he wanted. Now that he's in his own room it's a bit harder since his nursery is on the second floor and we're on the first. GK and I do switch off nights but it's not helping me really since I:

1. have to go to bed later than I'd like so I can pump.
2. I still wake up when E cries because we have the monitor on full blast so it will wake us up
and
3. Once I run up and down the stairs a few times at 4AM it's kind of hard to go back to sleep.

We had dropped a feeding late at night because he was falling asleep before it anyway and we didn't want to wake him. But for now I think I'm going to add in that last feeding again in hopes that he sleeps a little longer. I read somewhere that when they learn new things this happens, and since he's rolling over like a crazy baby I think I can blame that. He's pretty happy when he's not sleeping so I'm very thankful the fussiness is not bleeding over to his "play time" yet. For now we'll just have to ride this one out and hopefully come out less tired on the other end.

3 Thoughts for a Texas Gal...:

Jax said...

Ohgoodness! I hope he gets through the spurt and sleeps more again! I seriously worry about this when I have a child b/c I'm crazy about sleep. If I dont have it, I kinda turn insano! ha! :) On girls weekend, 4 of my friends now have babies. They ran on VERY LITTLE SLEEP all weekend remarkably well! I was the first to crash out while they all sat up and laughed and drank! haha! They siad they'd just gotten used to getting little sleep. Hilarious! it's like reverting to college...but um.. obviously not at all.

Homevalley said...

OMG. I am not alone! Seriously, my little nugget doesn't sleep at night anymore. What is going on with these dudes?

And, he is now rolling over both ways, so maybe that does have something to do with it.

I have been trying to get more of a schedule and had blamed it on that... Maybe this is just a normal 3 month thing?

Brie said...

HAHA babies are too funny. I have a 5 month old and every time I think I have his schedule figured out, he goes through a growth spurt or starts teething or something and completely changes things on me! But we love them all the same right!

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com : Header Image by Roctopus