Thursday, October 8, 2009

Spray or Roll that is the question?

At some point GK and I will be moving to Texas. A date is TBD still. Yes, I am getting ancy about it if you were wondering. Anyway, since the condo market in Chicago pretty much sucks right now, we're going to rent our place. Side note: it's a two bedroom right on Lincoln Park if any of you happen to be looking to rent in the next six months. So, in order to prepare our place for renters I wanted to re-paint it (along with a million other things that I won't tell you about just yet in case GK reads this, and tells me no before I even get a chance to talk to him about it).

Now for normal couples this would not be a question in their minds. Normal couples would make a weekend of it and take to the rollers like old pros and knock out some new color in two days. But the issue is - I suck at painting. I hate it. I'd rather do a million loads of laundry or babysit the Gosselin 8 before I paint on my own. The kicker is that I love a newly painted place, go figure. So in order to make it easier for GK I found a new "tool" he can use to make it more fun and take his focus off of the fact that I'm not helping him - and instead sitting on the couch with the dog watching Say Yes To The Dress. So I say bring on the paint sprayer...

Have any of you ever used one of these? Are they worth it? The one above is about $75 and just may work for our 1200 square foot place. My first question is, should we actually buy one of these? I saw that Home Depot rented the paint sprayer below...

But that thing is a monster and I'm not sure if we need something that ginormous for our place.
Anyone have any advice on these things? I'm going to the Behemoth that is Home Depot this weekend to start picking paint colors :)

6 Thoughts for a Texas Gal...:

Kyla Roma said...

This is a tough one! If you hate painting this much, I might consider just meeting with painting companies when you're there- you don't have to mess with equipment rentals or any of it. You can just come in and have it done!

I personally wouldn't play with a sprayer, and I'm pretty good at painting, but I just wouldn't know what to do with it! I think for some things, it's worth paying a student to help ;)

Hope you have luck with whatever you choose!

Jax said...

Never used one of these, but wishing you luck with whatever you decide! And best of luck renting your place, too! I just love those little places in the Chi and would totally consider it if I were there. For reals. Where in TX are you moving?! Gah, you wont know what to do with yourself without those cold Chicago winters.. I bet you'll miss em, huh? (wink wink).

Meredith said...

My first instinct was that it wouldn't be worth the money. BUT, $75 is pretty cheap--I'd just make sure that you don't need to have an air compressor attached. I've never seen one that inexpensive that doesn't need an air compressor!

I'd probably just hire someone to do it for me!

What Kate Wore said...

The Consort swears by a power roller. Says it is better than regular rolling and spraying.

Hope this helps!
tp

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I think that's an awful lot of equipment for painting. I'd go with the roller and get it over with. I kinda find painting therapeutic

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

No way? I gotta know if that works. I am about to repaint three rooms. Well, the hubs is and that might save him some shoulder pain. Ah ha

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com : Header Image by Roctopus