Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Staying cool was not an option

First of all, thank you everyone for all the kind comments on the last post. I really love comments and each one makes me smile! I thought I'd share how "un-cool" I was when I found out I was pregnant. This was in NO WAY the way I wanted to tell GK he was going to be a Dad. Maybe I can plan it better with the next kid when I'm not so surprised! Written on September 9th, 2009...

Wow! I am still in shock right now it's crazy. Labor day was like any other. GK and I woke up in a haze from the beer we consumed the night (don't judge, I had no clue I was with child) before and proceeded to lay around the house, went to the the driving range, had lunch, you get the gist. I had this weird feeling in my stomach that things were not as they seemed, so I took a home test. Before I could even flush the toilet two tiny pink lines showed up. I'd like to say I said something sweet like "Oh my goodness, this is wonderful" instead I think I said something like "HOLY SH*T" (sorry Mom for the language). I always thought I'd tell GK that we were having a baby in a really cute way too. You know, make a cute little shirt that says "future Kelley" or a shirt for Grace that says "I'm going to be a big sister". That is the way I WANTED to do it. That was not the plan.



Two days before, we had gone to Costco and I told Greg I should pick up some bulk home pregnancy tests. He looked at me like I was crazy. It was no joke, those things are really expensive at the drug stores, so why not buy them in bulk if I planned on using them? Fast forward to Monday afternoon when I was sitting in the bathroom staring at the two small pink lines. I proceed to run out of the bathroom waving the test above my head like a mad women, shoving it in GK's face.


LK: can you please read this...

GK: What is it...oh wow

LK: Is that right? Can it be? (in a very high pitched voice at this point)

GK: Well, it looks pretty obvious to me

LK: Damn Costco tests, I think it's faulty. We need to walk up to Walgreen's right now to get one of those tests that says it straight up. Pregnant or Not Pregnant. In words, not lines. No one can trust the bulk Costco test 100%. Little did I know that most faulty results say negative not positive.

Yes, I made my husband walk up to Walgreen's at that very moment to get more tests even though I had three more at home. On the five block walk I rambled on about anything and everything I could think of. To this day I'm not really sure what I was talking about and GK was cool as a cucumber the ENTIRE TIME. So we get home and I take the new test and it says to wait three minutes. I take the test and within thirty seconds "Pregnant" shows up.

GK: staring at the test not saying anything


LK: Wow, that wasn't even a minute. I guess we have our answer.


Turns out the bulk pack came in handy. I took all six tests that I had on hand from that day until my doctors appointment two weeks later. They were just sitting there so why not right??? I found out at the doctors that I almost got the record too, but some girl took seven tests to beat me.

So anyway, this post is more for our records than anything, but I thought I'd share how our new life began! I'm still not sure why I was so surprised since this baby was very much a part of our plan. I guess it happened so fast I was just in shock. We're so excited now and I'll be sure to post some ultrasound pics soon!

6 Thoughts for a Texas Gal...:

Dusty @AllThingsG+D said...

LOL! I had also planned on telling G he was going to be a daddy in some big grand way he'd never forget. Nope! Once I saw that "Positive" I couldn't contain myself and ran right to him and shoved the stick in his face, lol! We're only human, right? And like you said--we can make up for it with the next one!

Jax said...

Wanna know something hilarious? You had the SAME reaction as my college friend who just blogged about her pregnancy TODAY! You even mentioned getting the tests that talk about "pregnant" versus "Not pregnant" haha.. Here's her post: http://themisadventuresofamarriedwoman.blogspot.com/2009/11/lees-other-birthday-present.html

Ya'll should definitely be blog friends.. :)

And I TOTALLY envision me finding out about being prego in a similar way someday..haha..and having the "holy sh!t" reaction you did... It's so exciting but I bet it's just so crazy all at the same time!! :)

Llama said...

I would love to make a totally awesome surprise the day that I become pregnant...but i know that I def. wont be able to wait that long...i mean, who can blame you...you were so excited?!?! You know what? I think that your story is just as cute! Congrats again!!

Mandy said...

Now you just need to add a little pregancy ticker to your blog so we can follow along with you!

Unknown said...

That is so exciting! I'm so happy to have some friends who are pg to go along for the ride.
First you, now Mandy, too! Yay

lw said...

So darling! I'm going to be the same way. I can't keep anything a secret. The second I know, the hubby will know. How on earth can women keep these things a secret long enough to come up with a fab surprise?

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com : Header Image by Roctopus