Sunday, May 9, 2010

What Not To Say To A Pregnant Woman...

No, we still don't have a baby in our hands and as of today we're 39 weeks! I figured we don't really need to give an update, because as of now the baby is developed and just working on plumping up, so I thought I'd share some comments I've received over the last 39 weeks...

Scene: Me talking to a woman that I was getting a quote from to paint our condo in Chicago:

Woman: So how far along are you?
Me: Around 7.5 months.
Woman: Wow, you're a large girl!
Me: Oh, well I am pretty tall (avoiding the obvious).
Woman: My daughter is due any day and she's the same size as you.
Me: walking away to get GK to deal with her so I would not kick her out of my house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene: GK and I at the airport Starbucks

Woman behind counter: Ohhhh, how far along are you
Me: around 7.5 months
Woman behind counter: Oh congratulations!
Me: Thank you!
Crazy woman in line in front of me: So what are you having?
Me: It's actually a surprise, so we don't know.
Crazy woman in line in front of me: No way, I don't believe you. I bet you know and you're just not telling us!
Me: No, we really don't know the sex.
Crazy woman in line in front of me: I had three kids and on the last one I had to be in the hospital on a Tracheotomy because I had (insert disease name here) and I almost died...blah blah blah.
Me: I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Crazy woman in line in front of me: Showing scar as GK and I walk away...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene: McDonald's - same day as above.

Lady behind counter: How far along are you?
Me: 7.5 months
Lady behind counter: do you know what it is?
Me: Nope, it's a surprise.
Lady behind counter: I think it's a girl. I've got me three of them jerks at home so I can just tell.
Me: Oh, well thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene: GK and I at dinner in Maui

Waitress: Asking multiple times about my belly
Me: Telling her I was 6 months along and don't know the sex.
Waitress: Wow, good for you (side note: this is the standard answer that people give me when they find out it's a surprise. Then they guess what the sex is by where my stomach is sitting). I have a boy that is 15 now!
Me: Wow, that's nice
Waitress: then proceeds to tell GK and I all about her labor...15 years ago!
Me: speechless...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene: My baby shower

Me: Hi, how are you?!?!
Guest: Good, how are you. How far along are you now?
Me: about 8.5 months
Guest: Look of concern on her face. Well, you should really just stick to vegetables from now on.
Me: I'm actually at a really good weight my doctor said and am measuring right on track...as I walk away...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been pretty lucky and only had a few people try to touch my belly so that is good. I now am large enough though that I get comments everywhere we go and people stare. A. Lot. I've told GK that from now on if he sees a pregnant girl, he should not stare or ask her how far along she is if he does not know her. He should also talk to her about something other than her belly. It will make her feel a little more normal at the end of the day. :)

6 Thoughts for a Texas Gal...:

New Girl on Post said...

What is it about pregnant women that people think they need to comment on and give advice? You're so much nicer than I am. Once I get pregnant I'm afraid I might snap on people that say rude things like that to me.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Hi - I've been following your blog for awhile now and haven't commented.

People made the same dumb, rude comments to me. It really hurts your feelings!!

Teresa said...

Uggh I hated when people would say rude things to me...its so unbelievable what comes out of peoples mouths.

Good Luck..can't wait to hear what Baby Kelley is.

Meredith said...

This drove me nuts!

I have to confess that I STILL have to make a serious effort not to be really mean to the family friend that called me "fattie" the whole time I was pregnant!

Megan said...

The nerve of some people! :/ The lack of a filter on some people's mouths around pregnant women annoy me.

but...Baby will be here very soon!!

JNFin said...

So the Saturday before I had Sadie, I had 3 different people ask me when my twins were due. Awesome . . .

I think you look awesome and we so can't wait to meet Baby Kelley!!

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com : Header Image by Roctopus